Remember Windows XP? How fabulous it was? Then remember getting Vista and thinking "Yes! This can only be better"? But then… it wasn't. Windows Vista might actually have been the worst operating system to come out of Microsoft (debatable). But there is HOPE, and its name is Windows 7 (insert angelic ahhs here).
Its not technically finished yet, but you can get the Beta version with a computer, or you can download the Beta (you can also preorder, but why wait?).
So if you're ready to make the move to Windows 7, here's how.
1. Once downloaded the Windows Install box will come up. You'll click the very straight forward "Install Windows Now" button.
2. The set-up will ask you if you want to Upgrade or Custom Install. Select Upgrade. Note, the rest of the installation will work very much like installing Windows Vista.
3. You'll then see a complicated transfer of files from Vista to Windows 7. Probably best to do this in the middle of the night because it will take several hours. The system will restart multiple times during the process. (You'll have a number chances to back out of the installation, too, just in case.)
4. Once the installation is completed you'll go to the "Out of Box Experience". (Seriously, that's what its called.) Here you'll be asked for your product key. Then your settings will be applied and the desktop will load.
5. Once you get to the desktop there will be a few personal settings (like with Windows Media Player).
6. You're done! Really, that's how simple the upgrade is.
If you want a way more complicated explanation you can go here. But in essence, Windows 7 does most of the work for you and the set-up wizard makes everything perfectly simple. So go ahead, get the Beta and escape from Vista.
Are you using Windows 7 yet? What do you think?